Success one failure at a time

I tried something new as I was working the second shave brush holder, I began to add a hole for the razor as well. I successfully added a 7/16″ hole but failed when I tried to expand it. I clamped a piece in the cavity I created to prevent tear out as I enlarged the hole but as I clamped down the extra piece moved up and cracked the top. There was some good that came out of all this. Prior to cutting the cavity I used my recently purchased smoothing plane to remove some tool marks and the rough edges on the basswood and I learned that if your final piece is going to have a thin top pre-drill your holes prior to using the dado to remove the material below. The pictures below show the holder in various stages before the catastrophic failure.

FullSizeRender 10FullSizeRender 9FullSizeRender 8

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s